The Connecticut Draft Horse Rescue (CDHR) is an all-volunteer non-profit organization dedicated to saving the lives of draft horses that were bound for slaughter in addition to draft horses that are victims of starvation, neglect or abuse, or whose owners are unable to provide for their needs. Their farm in East Hampton works tirelessly for their horses, some of their primary focuses are:
- Promote and secure the safety and well-being of draft horses at risk.
- Promote, support and provide equine rehabilitation.
- Promote, support and foster equine adoption.
- Ensure the lifetime safety of placed CDHR horses.
- Provide a humane and peaceful end of life when needed.
- Educate people with regard to the proper care, training and responsible ownership of horses.
- Organize gelding and euthanasia clinics to address the problem of unwanted horses.
- Educate people about, and to promote the draft horses’ role throughout history and its modern uses for work and pleasure.
- Establish a program for equine welfare for owners who may experience financial hardships.
- Promote and support equine efforts and animal rescue in times of natural disaster, when possible.
- Create, support and implement a collaborative therapeutic program for wounded veterans and other persons in our community living with disabilities.
Join us on Friday, October 8th at 7pm at our Essex Village studio for an unforgettable fundraiser. Each participant will be able to choose which horse they paint from the farm or paint a horse of their very own! Space is limited and preregistration is required. Book your easels today!
You can learn more about the Connecticut Draft Horse Rescue on their website!